Today we are going to start to look at ABB patterns and there are 3 mini activities for you.
1. Look at the picture below with your child, can they spot any patterns? I have written them on the picture so you know what you can point out to them if they don't spot a pattern. They do not need to know the symbols for each pattern (AB, AABB, ABC, ABB etc), just the unit of repeat. When you have discussed them, have a look around your house and garden, can you spot any patterns?
2. Have a look at the sandcastles picture below and talk about the following questions with your family:
- What do you notice about the order of the sandcastle shapes?
- What is the pattern?
- Where does the pattern begin?
- Where does the pattern end?
- What shape sandcastle will Matilda make next?
- Can you see any other patterns in the picture?
3. Can you make your own ABB pattern like Matilda's sandcastles? You could use playdough to make 3D shapes, make a drawing or use objects and using the circle track (with 12 sections) would be a great idea if possible.